I'm Sick & Tired and I don't want to take it anymore...
I just let my Advair prescription run out. Advair is a corticosteroids
inhaler used by asthmatics. I'm on the largest dose--500/50 --and I hate
that there's a huge probability that I could be on this the rest of my
life. As asthmatics go, my condition is fairly disruptive. I've been an
emergency room guest many times and have been hospitalized. I've suffered
crushing attacks and in terrible instances thought I'd die of asphyxiation.
I want it to stop. I've been slowly decreasing my corticosteroids dosages
and stopped taking it last Thursday. I had some discomfort but I guess I'm
OK cause I'm still standing! I remain on a reduced course of my
non-steroidal asthma drugs (Accolate and Ventolin)...but I'm adding
something new...
"Buteyko" breathing exercises.
I'm trying this because I'm tired of taking steroids and of still coughing
and sputtering. I turn 42 in a week and I'm tired of feeling like an
invalid. I think the corticosteroids have decreased my resistance to
fighting off chronic bronchitis.
When I started this morning, I could only do a controlled pause (that is,
holding my breath until it begins to feel uncomfortable) of 12 seconds.
Now I am up to 22. I just walked up 8 flights of stairs and didn't breathe
through my mouth once. My recovery period (time it takes for breathless
feeling to diminish) was less than 60 seconds.
For more info on Bueyko's breathing try these links:
Australian Financial Review from 2001
Full Website

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home