More on why cortisteroids are bad...
OK...I went back on the steroids because my breathing got to the point where I was gasping all the time. After about a week of breathing normally, I thought I'd try Buteyko again...but this time without the fear of no air.
But, nothing is as simple as that when it comes to the human organism (or any organism for that matter). Sunday before last, I got this wicked itch on my side that just wouldn't go away. I thought it was a bug bite...my cat has fleas and I had been spending time in the garden. But the extent to which it got swollen was alarming...it turned into a huge, hot, red, lump. I iced it, took an antihistamine and hoped it would get better. But the next day, I had more red blotches stretching halfway around my trunk and the urge to itch was overwhelming. Definitely not fleas.
Turns out it was shingles, a resurgence of chicken pox, and it was most likely brought on by my restarting up of the steroids. Now not only am I on the steroids, I'm on an anit-viral (5 times a day) for the next 10 days and I have flu like symptoms (itchy eyes, sneezing, neuralgia) to boot. Plus the shingles have now gone all blistery and pussy. Pretty picture.
The icing on the cake? My doctor told me that I'm also highly contageous...that anyone who hasn't had chicken pox can catch it from contact from me until the blisters turn to scabs and fall off. Lovely.
Silver lining? I'm using this time away from work (I've been on sick leave for the last 3 days) to write and read. And since my sister's just gotten a job that will take her to London (Wasn't it supposed to be me living abroad with my international relations degree? Sigh.),I'm planning a trip to go see a Butekyo practitioner...I think I need the hands on training.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home