Friday, July 16, 2004

Denial

I wonder how many other takers of daily med's forget what and when they
took their meds? Last night, I think it is remotely possible that I took
two hits of my Advair...not sure of course because I almost never note the
dose number down when I do my little inhalation. Why is that? Why do I
take so lightly that (a) I have a chronic, life-threatening condition and
(b) that my medication, if not taken correctly could be as bad as the
underlying disease?

Denial, backbone of so many ills, is the best reason I can come up with.
If I deny the scariness of it all, grumble and complain (rather than be
terrified) about the truly annoying aspects of not breathing, then it loses
some of its' punch. That's why the Buteyko Breathing program is so
alluring...a "simple" retraining of the body.

An admission here...I have always felt that somehow, my asthma was also
connected to my lack of motivation. The fear I've felt about going out
into the world , taking my place next to my peers...I've associated it with
a lack of breath/vitality. Is it possible as I'm starting to stretch
myself...to believe that I could be this other, better person, that my
asthma has responded by trying to snap me back into the old mold?
Something to think about.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home