Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Controlled pause hits 37

Amazing. After hitting a CP of 25 this morning, I just did a 37 CP. It
wasn't hard. All I had to do was relax. How do I feel? Pretty good. I'm
still on steroids but no asthmatic feelings. My biggest issue is with my
terrible bronchial cough which is still with me and very embarrassing. But
I have hope. Here's one first person account of recovery from asthma using
Buteyko breathing.


"Breathe easy" from the Sydney Morning Herald (22/07/04)
by Linda Pettersson

FIRST PERSON

After two attacks of bronchitis, I was left with a near-permanent
wheeze, which was eventually diagnosed as asthma. I was in my early 20s.


Over the next two decades, the asthma got worse until it became
moderately severe asthma. One curious feature of this asthma was that it
seemed to deteriorate at the same pace that new medications were
becoming available.

As I was prescribed medications that were more powerful, more diverse
and more numerous, the asthma also became more frequent, more severe and
difficult to control.

Eight years ago, I realised there must be another way. I was taking
every medication to the maximum: Serevent, Pulmicort, Atrovent, Intal,
Ventolin, any or all of them at any one time via puffers, sprays,
nebulisers, tablets and the occasional hospital admission.

It seemed quite likely that the speed of the deterioration in my asthma
would soon outstrip the capacity of the medications available. Not to
forget the side effects: hoarseness, a cough or a racing heartbeat,
depending on the medication. Not pleasant, often extremely inconvenient
and downright debilitating.

After some research, I became aware of the Buteyko Technique - drugless,
painless and side-effect free.

But I was sceptical. How could a technique based on learning to breathe
help? Breathing is instinctive. You don't have to learn how to do it.

But I thought I had nothing to lose, so, together with a similarly
afflicted friend, I went along to a Buteyko course that was held over
six evenings for an hour and a half each time.

The course consisted of learning about "over-breathing", the role of
carbon dioxide, shallow and abdominal breathing and the perils of
breathing through the mouth. We practised "control pauses" and learned
to sleep with mouths closed.

By the end of the second evening, my skepticism was evaporating fast. I
could breathe far more easily and reduce the medication I was taking. At
the end of the third session, one participant came in exultant about
having played a game of football without using any medication at all to
get through the match.

By the end of the fourth evening, I felt so good that I stopped taking
almost every medication and substituted two 15-minute breathing practice
sessions each day. I also practised the techniques while driving and
walking the dog: cheap, easy and convenient.

By the end of the sixth session, I had stopped taking all medication.
This was against all advice but I felt well while using what I had
learned.

Over the next year, I only had two more attacks of wheezing for which I
had to use traditional medications. When my Ventolin inhaler reached its
expiry date, I threw it out and did not replace it. It was the first
time in about 25 years that I did not have a Ventolin inhaler within
reach.

Since then, at the first sign of wheezing, I practise some control
pauses and that's all I need to do.

I would never say that I have been cured of asthma. It is clear that the
tendency is still there. But the Buteyko Technique has been a life
enhancer and possibly life-saving.

Even though a standard lung function test tells me that my lung function
is not at the "predicted value" (not that it ever was), I can undertake
any physical activity that was once assisted by Ventolin.

Not a bad outcome for learning a bit more about breathing.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home