Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Buteyko Exercise Plan

In a recent buteyko website I read the following admonition:

"If a severe asthmatic only does the exercises three times a day for
twenty minutes, they might take six weeks to achieve the same benefit
others gain from three weeks of exercising for thirty minutes, three times
a day."


OK. So, since my doctor once told me that I had the lung function of a 100
year old person, I'd say my asthma was moderate to severe. And I want to
have some faster results.
Here is my plan for the next 3 weeks:

































































Week of August 22 Week of August 29 Week of September 5
6-6:30am 6-6:30am 6-6:30am
Exercises: Exercises: Exercises:
*Controlled Pause *Controlled Pause *Controlled Pause
*5 min - Reduced Breathing *5 min - Reduced Breathing *5 min - Reduced Breathing
*2 min - Normal Breathing *2 min - Normal Breathing *2 min - Normal Breathing
1-1:30pm 1-1:30pm 1-1:30pm
Exercises: Exercises: Exercises:
*Controlled Pause *Controlled Pause *Controlled Pause
*5 min - Reduced Breathing *5 min - Reduced Breathing *5 min - Reduced Breathing
*2 min - Normal Breathing *2 min - Normal Breathing *2 min - Normal Breathing
7-7:30pm 7-7:30pm 7-7:30pm
Exercises: Exercises: Exercises:
*Controlled Pause *Controlled Pause *Controlled Pause
*5 min - Reduced Breathing *5 min - Reduced Breathing *5 min - Reduced Breathing
*2 min - Normal Breathing *2 min - Normal Breathing *2 min - Normal Breathing

My biggest goals are to try to rid myself of the cough and to wean myself
off of the steroids.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

Thanks for this --
I've got a three-year-old son who's asthmatic, and I strive to learn everything I can about the condition and possible treatments. While I'm afraid to alter the course of his treatment now (he's not even old enough to use a peak flow meter yet, and he is doing better), I will look into these breathing exercises later on.
Again -- thanks.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home